Wednesday, March 1, 2017

With Success comes hate

Everyone knows the saying with success comes hate right? Well here is how its happening against my small channel on twitch.



The main conduits typically seems to be on reddit, for me since I'm primarily a EVE Online streamer it would be r/eve.


Here are some examples of recent targeted hate towards myself and my channel.

r/Eve/comments/51n22u/gf_horde/d7dalic/

r/Eve/comments/5jrwjl/lets_watch_some_streamers_on_twitch_wait_what/dbileqw/

r/Eve/comments/5wii5g/every_time_this_streamer_streams_he_gets_over_500/



The common theme from all the attackers is viewership numbers. If I had a total of 10 viewers and 8 of those were from a external embed no one would care. But now since I'm more successful and averaging 100+ viewers all the time, more focus is coming my way. People are trying to figure out whats happening, why I have more viewers and are quick to assume things.

My approach to streaming is also very different from what you typically see on twitch which may add to the problem. I do not attempt to be a personality type of a streamer. My focus is being more of a support type of a stream for the games I play in a chill / relaxing setting. Additionally I aim to have good video quality, limited overlays, no gimmicks, limited voice commentary but huge chat interaction. If anyone asks questions it generally gets answered in the chat very quickly by me.

Since I've been going more full time with streaming I utilize embedding to advertise my stream across my portfolio of websites. My twitch stream runs 24/7 so its a great supplemental to my video game blogs and to this twitch guide site. Embeds get counted in the total live viewer number. Their is no separation between twitch site viewers and external embedded viewers.

Which leads to a huge lack of understanding when it comes to embeds. Many of the hater's kept calling it inflation or fake views, some kinda understand it but then say its cheating the system. I attempt to explain it but for some no matter how much you disclose and show examples they don't seem to care, they default and will continue to say its fake viewers. There is nothing fake about embedding, a person has to be there to generate a view.

Another thing a majority of people are very clueless about is the mere fact that anyone can take a embed code from any channel and post it up somewhere. I offer a very good example here (check viral bomb section), one of the biggest video game websites ran a story and featured my channel's embed on it. And guess what? That website has a extreme amount of affiliates who take their content and repost it. Over the many years of streaming, this type of event replicates, gets compounded and every little bit of that gets added up into the view count.

The salt, the jealously from other streamers fan base was also rampant on the reddit threads. People think being in the top spot in a game directory is the golden key to growth or something? There was even other streamers complaining about my stream on some sections like I'm the reason they are not getting viewers!

Here is a example of a EVE Online Streamer Erstschlag targeting my ellatha website which hosts my eve online fansite.

Erstschlag streamer

They are attempting to get their community to install a web browser blocker so they don't go to my eve website.

I've been streaming since 2009, been a content creator since 2000, thousands of hours have laid the foundation for what I have today. If you are a streamer and see other streamers success and numbers as some sort of a competition, your wasting brain power and time on something you cant control. Focus on what you can control, you, your brand, what makes you different. Try out different things, see what works, what doesn't. Need ideas? Welcome to my Twitch tips blog - many good guides and information available here.

Let me close out and say thanks for all the people who supported and defended my channel against the haters! Much appreciated!


1 comment:
  1. I have to admit daopa that I was one of those people at first. Then there was a person who explained it to me. He is one of the first streamers I followed. Bwana. I follow you on Twitch and try to catch you when I can. I hope everything is going well.

    ReplyDelete